Wednesday 29 February 2012

Marathon effort by Xenia... (News Report)

A FORMER Bahrain resident, who took part in the Virgin London Marathon, beat event sponsor Richard Branson to the finishing line by just a minute - raising almost BD2,000 in the process.

Xenia Oakley, 30, ran the 26 miles and 385 yards to raise funds for UK-based charity Beating Bowel Cancer.

The former St Christopher's School student was inspired to run having lost her mother to the illness five years ago.

The Briton is the daughter of former long-term Bahrain residents Philip and Heather Dew.

However, her mother died in England after a two-year battle against bowel cancer in April 2005.

Ms Oakley raised £3,096 (BD1,787) during the event, £1,000 (BD570) more than her £2,000 (BD1,141) target.

"My sister Laila also raised £1,300 (BD741) in support of the charity by holding a fundraising show jumping event in Dubai," she said.

Although she ruled out entering the marathon again, Ms Oakley described her run through London as "fantastic".

"My dad and husband David were among the cheering crowds of supporters," she said.

"I saw them at nine miles, 18 miles and 22 miles with my two little girls Lauren and Phoebe, who were there all the way to support me.

"They pushed their way through the crowds, jumping on and off trains to make sure they were there for me.

"I definitely think they had the harder job."

Ms Oakley had been training hard to be fit for the marathon, even waking up at 6.15am to exercise.

"I trained four times and swam once a week as part of the fitness regimen for the marathon," she said.

"I had pulled a tendon earlier so I also underwent physio throughout the training.

"The days before the marathon I slowed down my training a little and had to eat lots of healthy food ahead of the race."

Crossing the finish line in five hours, one minute and 27 seconds, Ms Oakley finished just a minute ahead of the butterfly-costumed Mr Branson, who ran surrounded by a horde of celebrities.

"David told me that throughout the race Richard Branson was ahead of me by five or 10 minutes, but in the end I managed to beat him," said Ms Oakley, who has never run a marathon before.

"It was hard work running the race, but I found it very enjoyable.

"I have never smiled so much while running and the support the crowd gives you is incredible.

"I managed to run the whole way, which I'm staggered with, as that has never happened in training.

"The first thing I looked forward to after the race was meeting my husband and children.

"I'll be participating in a half-marathon later this year for the same charity, so I'll be starting the training again."

People can still make donations to Ms Oakley for her marathon effort until May 25 at uk.virginmoneygiving.com/xeniaoakley.

Copyright 2010 Al Hilal Publishing and Marketing Group

'Marathon effort by Xenia…', Gulf Daily News, May 5, 2010, Jennifer Gnana


No comments:

Post a Comment